Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Matchy Matchy Necklace to go with my cuff

While this week is UBER-busy, I'm having a blast balancing it all... that is if you consider a blast looking like a circus clown, riding a unicycle, juggling bowling pins while trying to walk the dog. 

Now that's a picture... and since I'm so short on time (getting ready for my sister's wedding and will post pics after this weekend) I'll just give you a pretty picture to look at.  I made the cuff that was for the EBEG Beadfest that I was going to sell, but then it adopted me and now it's MINE!  So I thought it would like to have a playmate in the jewelry box... enter a pendant I started EONS ago... seriously, it was soooooo 2010 when I started this pendant (said while rolling eyes like a valley girl). 

Anyhoo, I didn't like how the bezel came out and I didn't like how the white background popped (this was one of my early, early attempts at bead embroidery and I had not yet discovered the joy of colored Nicoles Beadbacking).  So I tossed it in the fugly drawer and said "hasta la vista you ugly thing."

Now you see, the lampwork heart wasn't ugly... it was and is really quite stunning (lampwork bead designed by my favorite glass artist Juli Cannon, Studio Juls), but I had done such a crappy bezel around it (before I discovered how important it is to bezel with all the same variety (sort of) of seed beads.  So I had some delicas, some tohos, some czech and thought no problem.  Seriously, we all learn from our mistakes.

So when I felt the need to have a complimentary necklace for that droolworthy cuff (yes, the one with the orange accents) I pulled out the fugly thing determined to turn that Caterpillar into a butterfly.  Bring in some crystal bicone spikes out the top, a pearl and hang it on a ribbon and viola... fugly goes butterfly in a nano-second!

Why do I share this?  Because we all learn from our fugly mistakes and grow... or let them fester in the fugly drawer... either way, we keep on smiling and trying new things!
{Hugs!}
Dawn

4 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Dawn,
I really like this pendant it is very pretty. I knew that was one of Juli's hearts as soon as I seen it I love her work.
Walking your dog while riding a unicycle and juggling, now that would truly be something to see! ;-)
Therese

Lori said...

Love this... The colors are so cheerful..No Fuglies here!!

DVArtist said...

Wow this is so pretty. Love the technique and you just can not go wrong with Juls beads. Her work is so amazing as is yours.
Nicole/Beadwright

Diana @ Serendipity Beads said...

The colours are fantastic. It is a charming necklace

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails