Monday, April 1, 2013

Semi-Precious Gemstones - Rich in History, Beautiful in Art Jewelry

When I'm creating different pieces of art jewelry, it's interesting to me what strikes me to use in my designs.  When I'm designing with semi-precious gemstones, three stones in particular jump out at me.

Turquoise - Amethyst - Tiger's Eye


What's even more amazing is when you start digging into the meaning of each stone and the metaphysical energy in the stones, what they offer.  This piece uses a turquoise focal in the center, accented with rich, chocolate brown faceted crystals and soft coral beadwork. 

Turquoise is also used in the links and the necklace is finished with a copper chain.  Have you noticed how often you see turquoise jewelry that uses copper as the metal?  It's not a coincidence, copper enhances the effects of turquoise.

Here's some interesting turquoise facts:

  • If given a turquoise by a loving friend, that stone would protect the wearer from negative energy and bring good fortune.  
  • Turquoise brings peace to the home.
  • Turquoise carries great wisdom of basic truth within it.
"Turquoise is a stone that has been prized for many years. The ancient Egyptians used turquoise in jewelry. Turquoise is greenish-blue or pale sky blue. The name means "Turkish stone" as it came to Europe by way of Turkey. Turquoise was mined more than 6,000 years ago in Sinai. The best turquoise comes from Iran, but not much is exported now. Much turquoise comes from Mexico and the United States today." via crystal-cure.com

It's not a wonder turquoise resonates with so many people!  What semi-precious gemstone speaks to you?

4 comments:

DVArtist said...

Very pretty piece Dawn. Turquoise is of course a favorite of mine. However for spiritual purposes I carry Chrysocolla. It has been a lifetime stone for me.
Nicole/Beadwright

Caron Michelle said...

Gorgeous design and I was fascinated by the meaning behind it!

Las Cositas de Lyra said...

Amazing!!!

Sarah Sequins said...

What a lovely necklace! I've always loved the combination of turquoise and copper. :)

My favorite stone is Botswana agate. I don't know what its properties are, but I do love how its patterns look like eyes or fingerprints.

By the way, did you get my email in response to your pricing-related question? If not, I can resend. Yahoo has been misbehaving lately.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails