I'm not a chatter... I used to chat when Yahoo Messenger first came out, I chatted my brains out. I also got very little of anything else accomplished. So then I discovered how to be invisible.... but people still sent me messages even when I "appeared" offline to them. Don't get me wrong, I love interacting with other people. However, when I'm working on my computer - blogging, marketing, listing I really need to focus. There's just not enough hours in the day otherwise. So the random chatting via messenger had to go.
Honestly, people who know me know to send me an e-mail or private FB message or pick up the phone and call me. I prefer the more personal conversations and interactions. (which is also why 140 characters on Twitter is also sooo very difficult. But that's a story for another day!)
So how the heck do you make that darn chat bar go away if you really don't want to use it (or look at it)?
- On the lower right side of your screen, click on the starburst looking icon.
- If Available to Chat is Selected, un-check it.
- From this same area, you can also click "Hide Sidebar" to have it disappear complete.
- You can go back online to chat anytime but clicking that starburst icon again.
Another Side Note: This morning when I went to publish this post, my chat worked different than it did just yesterday. UGH... so if the above instructions don't look right based on your screen, today's version goes like this.
- Click that Starburst Icon on the lower right.
- Select Options, then click "Go Offline".
- That should disable chat and minimize that sidebar for you.
Hope this little Facebook Friday info helped. It just shows how dynamic and radically changing the game of social media marketing has become. I'm happy to share the tidbits I know and learn that may be helpful to you!
Hope your weekend is Fabulous!