Sunday, February 6, 2011

How's This for A Contest Piece?

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to step out of my comfort zone in 2011.  Well, I'm happy to announce I've finished a piece to enter in the Happy Mango Beads - Bead My Valentine contest.

In looking at all the themes and categories in which contest entries will be judged, I chose "Roses are Red, Violets are Blue - FLOWERS!!!"  Yes, flowers speak to me.  If you've seen some of my jewelry over the summer months, you'll notice I use lots of flower as props.  From Zinnias to Morning Glories and BOATLOADS of daylilies I just love how they provide a rainbow of color and happiness. 
So for me, the theme of flowers was perfect!

I used a handpainted ceramic bead that I had been hoarding as a focal.  Using a circular brick stich, I created petals in a mix of delicas with small pink crystals forming the petals.  For the necklace I stitched 2 leaves using the same mix of delicas.  I added a few pearls and fire polished czech glass beads for a bit more color & sparkle and kept the rest of the chain simple. 

The necklace wears beautifully flat against your collar bones and makes a statement without being heavy.  It's actually very lightweight!  So while I'm still trying to get the "perfect" photo to e-mail in, I'll leave you with a few that really do show the detail and coloring!

Thanks so much for all your encouragement to step outside of my box.  I did, I'll continue to and I look forward to growing!  Hope you all have a WONDERFUL Superbowl Sunday!

6 comments:

slmpetersen said...

Wowza - that is one stunning piece of work! Love it!

Regina said...

I agree, it is stunning and I love the colors and the intricate design. You really are on your way to mastering beadwork.

Be~Jeweled by Jana said...

That's so pretty! You did an amazing job!

Francy said...

So pretty!

Azure Accessories said...

Beautiful Dawn...good luck!!!

Beading seems to agree with you...great design & style!
Cheers

Dawn Doucette said...

Thank you all so much! The verdict is out until Feb. 14th. I appreciate all your kind comments!

Hope your day is full of creativity!
{Hugs!}

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails