Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Welcome to the Color Challenge Blog Hop - You won't believe the palette I had

First, I really have to thank Erin over at Treasures Found for organizing this challenge.  When she asked me what color palette I want, I said, "Surprise me!"

Boy was I surprised!  And since it's a challenge, boy was I challenged!  I got the color palette BROWN - so I was thinking mocha, chocolate and earthy tones, okay!

What?  Green??? And Blue??? Holy jeez... I'm going to have to think on this!  Here was my challenge palette, created by Design Seeds.
Jarred Tones by Design Seeds

I loved the brown and blue combination, but tossing in green really threw me.  And then inspiration struck (or rather jumped) out of my bead stash and onto my table.  From there, bead by bead this cuff grew and really turned into something special.
A Walk in the Woods - A Beaded Cuff Bracelet

Not only did I use the color palette as inspiration, but I also used the photo itself.  See the glass jar in the photo?  The focal I started with for this design is a Druzy Agate.  It has the look of crackled glass of the jar with the warm earthy brown "dirt" around it. 


I have no idea what the side cabs are.  They've been sitting in my "I'm.going.to.do.something.with.these.someday" pile for oh, about a year... but I didn't know what I was going to do.  So alas, they are the perfect way to pull in the blue & green - Holla!!


The whole cuff was so out of my "zone" from concept to creation it was crazy.  But looking at the finished piece, I can honestly say I grew and I'm so excited to have created it.  I love that I was challenged by the color palette, but also by creating something I've never created - a bead embroidery cuff!  I was able to use some of the "special secrets" I learned just a few weeks ago in the Sherry Serafini class I took and look what it turned into.

By the way, I will totally be needing bi-focals if this addiction continues.  Those little bronze beads that are 3mm and the scalloped seed beads are 15/0s.  Yes they are tiny, and yes each is sewn on by hand... but the end result - totally worth it!


Now, I'm off to hop over to the other challengers blogs.  I love seeing how people embrace a challenge and grow from it!  Feel free to visit some more great bloggers and see the works of art they've created.  Also, if you're looking for inspiration, please do visit Design Seeds Blog.  They put out GREAT color palettes daily that are sure to inspire you! 


18 Tari Kahrs ~ Orange ~ Citrus Tones
35 CJ Bauschka ~ Teal ~ Teal Air
41 Jenni Connolly ~ Gray ~ Paw Tones

39 comments:

Unknown said...

First came the drool, then the awe of your abilities now I am just stamping my feet like a 2 year old wanting it all to myself!!! Dawn you not only create beautiful jewelry you put all of your heart in it!

Shirley said...

Oh man, what a stunner! I've never done bead embroidery, but that totally has me gasping with delight! After the hop, I'd love for you to do a bit of in depth on the total creation of it. You really nailed the color palette, and the style of the inspiration. Be very proud wearing this!

T... said...

stunning creation, love the palette you had to work with....

TesoriTrovati said...

Oh.My.GOODNESS! That is sweet bead love right there, my friend! I am starting with you because, well, the last shall be first and all that jazz! I am so, SO glad that you decided to jump in and also that you let me surprise you. See!? Good things happen when you step outside your box. So get those cheater glasses and keep on doing what you are doing because it is GREAT!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

CraftyHope said...

I love the warm, earthiness of both your inspiration palette and your cuff. You did an excellent job making your piece to reflect the colors in the picture. Really, really wonderfully done!

I LOVE color! said...

I am so amazed at the lovely design and it was exacuted with teeny tiny itty bitty beads :^)
Be blessed to be a blessing

Therese's Treasures said...

Wow Dawn, your cuff is amazing, gorgeous, and down right beautiful! Great job using your color palet.
Therese

Starstruckbooks said...

That cuff is stunning! Nice to see that it wasn't just me who got all inspired by the photo too! I'm off to look up those beading techniques because you have made the finished article look absolutely amazing! (Hope your day is TERRIFIC too! :))

Sarah Sequins said...

Dawn,

Oh my gosh, that cuff bracelet is stunning! You did a wonderful job making it and using the colors from the challenge. :)

Every time I see your work I want to get out my beads and start playing. Your work is brilliant!

Maria said...

Amazing!
I too love brown & blue together and your piece turned out wonderful!

Tanya said...

I love your cuff .. it's just stunning. Well worth all of the work. The color and the craftsmanship are both just wonderful.

lunedreams said...

That is spectacular! Who knew brown could be so luxurious? The light blue and the olive green together with the brown make it very unique, as well as elegant and exotic. I will gladly donate my bifocals to you cause.

Unknown said...

Your piece is wonderful! Looks like hours of work, and it paid off! Love it :)

Jami said...

Wow! What a stunning and beautiful bracelet. I love the colors and all the little details!!

Anonymous said...

You got yourself a show stopper!!! STUNNING!!! Such an amazing work of art!!!

Cynthia said...

Wow, that cuff is AB FAB!! Many of the palettes were somewhat surprising, and some more challenging than others (at least to look at them). Yours looks challenging, but your design is perfect AND beautiful!

Pips said...

Oh My Goodness!! What a beautiful cuff - so much work involved. Your design is just fantastic!

Alice said...

What a stunning cuff! I can't imagine the tedious work that went into crafting this beauty. And I love the 'knobby' look of the bronze beads.

Amy S. said...

BEAUTIFUL! It looks like you've been creating embroidered cuffs for years! Your use of palette colors is fantastic!

Maneki said...

Wow, what a gorgeous cuff! I really like the style and the woodland or garden feel it has (the green sections remind me om "blossoming" moss). Fab job!

Cece said...

Love the cuff! It is amazing! Don't know about you, but this cuff stuff could become addiction forming for me. It was much easier than I ever imagined.

Mary K. McGraw said...

Bead Embroidery is one of my favorites and what a fantastic job you did on your first attempt at a cuff. Plus your color palette i sone of my favorites.

beautifullybrokenme said...

WOW!!! Your piece is absolutely fabulous! As the only other 'brown' person, I was thinking we would get similar palettes, but they couldn't be more different. Your interpretation of your palette is spectacular - beautiful job!

Regina said...

OMG! What a gorgeous piece. It does the color palette great justice. It is spectacular, love the bead combinations and all the detailed work and all those tiny beads. But I agree, well worth it. Wear it with pride, you did a magnificent job!

KayzKreationz said...

That cuff is awesome. I can't imagine all the time and work that went into that. But it's totally worth it. Gorgeous and great job with your palette.

My Life Under the Bus said...

OMG This is unbelievable!!! The amount of work that went into this curls my hair - amazing work and I love your palette - you certainly did it justice!

Jenni said...

Fabulous work and such a stunning result. You matched your lovely palette to perfection. I love the colours together.
jenni

Heidi Post said...

Gorgeous cuff! You've done a perfect job matching your palette :)

Abracadebra Designs said...

You certainly worked your magic on that palette. the bracelet is gorgeous. You picked out perfect combo of beads to compliment your focal druzy. I am also loving the texture of this piece. Simply amazing!!!
-Debbie

Shai Williams said...

Just incredible! I swear that everything you touch turns to gold.

SoulsFireDesigns said...

Oh oh OH! You are amazing! That is... that is stunning! You seed beaders just make me swoon with your capabilities. Just perfect!

moonlitfantaseas said...

wow Dawn, your cuff is gorgeous! this challenge was a real challenge wasn't it? when I asked for teal, I was expecting vivid colors, and got totally the opposite, I did enjoy it emensely though!

Sharyl said...

I looked at this and thought you must specialize in bead embroidery cuffs, then I read on to find you just tried it out and made this one for the challenge?! That's gutsy! :-) And what an amazing job! (I can barely see some of those beads enlarged on the screen; not sure how you were able to work with them at all!)

EmandaJ said...

Gorgeous, and a first attempt, Wow! These color palettes surprised us all! Jessica is amazing and I for one will be visiting her blog -- especially when I feel creatively "stuck"

Emanda

Bobbie said...

Boy, howdy, that is one gorgeous bracelet! You did Sherri's teaching proud, for sure. Lovely interpretation of the palette and of the inspiration photo-I love all of it!

Anonymous said...

I almost fainted when I saw your cuff (ok - I am being dramatic) - but it totally ROCKS! So beautiful. Can't believe people have the patience to sew little teeny tiny beads and make them into a masterpiece like this. I tip my hat to you!

Anonymous said...

What a stunning cuff! It's warm and with great texture.

Well done!

Ambra

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Wow-the bracelet you created is just amazing! Your bead work is fantastic. Well done! Great interpretation of your color palette too!

SueBeads said...

Oh my! That is just amazing! I love the color palette and can't believe what you made - simply gorgeous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails