Saturday, October 8, 2011

From Kit to Kaboodle - The Lima Beads Challenge Results

I'm so excited that today is the reveal of this jewelry making challenge.  I don't often purchase "kits" of pre-sorted and picked out beads and components.  But when I saw a blog post by Shannon & Lorelei Eurto about the kit they put together with LimaBeads I said GIMME!!!!  And I surfed right over with credit card in hand to get hooked up!

It was my first experience with LimaBeads and it was wonderful. Super fast shipping, great quality stones and beads, well packaged.  So if you're looking for a new bead vendor... check 'em out!

Once I had the hot little kit in my hand, it was up to my muse to show up.  I laid everything out on a cookie sheet, and added some of my own "stash" and played with ideas and moved things around... for 2 weeks!  Then inspiration struck and I saw two distinctly different color patterns that were popping out at me.

Here's the first!

I saw the creamy yellow colors and the soft lavender blending together in a really soft, romantic look.  Once I had the color pallet in mind, putting the necklace together flowed so sweetly.  I used a vintage button that had both the cream and lavendar on it.  Enhanced it with seed beads and the Czech glass gladiola buttons and rondelles that were in the kit.  I also incorporated a few of the freshwater pearls to add a little splash of the cream.  From the focal, I created a drop with the Vintage pendant they included in the kit.  Dangling center I was able to use one of the amethyst teardrop.

The second piece I did was and still feels like buttah (or butter depending on where you live) in my hands.  I had a beautiful focal that was created especially for me from Erin Prais-Hintz of Tesori Trovati.  It's a double sided pendant from her simple truths collection.  Once side says "Love" the other side says "Focus on What Really Matters" - which is so perfectly Dawn!

So when I saw the beautiful dyed silk ribbon included in the challenge kit, it married so perfectly with the pendant Erin had made me, I knew they needed to be joined in holy bead-trimony.  :o)  But how the heck to I use silk ribbon???? I've never used a fiber in my creations before in my life!  Enter in some oval chain I had in my stash and my great talents as a weaver. (really the talents aren't that great, but it sure sounded important).  From there all the components came together.  For the necklace I actually created something asymmetrical that WORKS for my eyes!  (I'm a little type a not A, just a, and asymmetical is often very hard for me to create)  I brought in some of the purples, this very cool lone abalone bead that came in the kit, turquoise zebra jasper nuggets and Czech FP rounds.  But then I still had the challenge of those funky, beautiful Biwa pearls.  They were top drilled like little tears from the sea, so I had to use them.  I wire-wrapped a chain and created a party fringe!

So thanks for coming to my reveal party!  Please stop over to Lorelei and Shannon's blogs to see their creations and those of other participants.  I had a great time and really was able to grow with such a unique mix.  I still have earrings to make to match the necklaces (because one can't have naked ears), but those are still on my bead table.

Hope your weekend is fill with Love and pumpkin spice!
{Hugs!}
~Dawn

Just meeting me for the first time?  Let's connect on Facebook to spread the word about artisan jewelry! http://www.facebook.com/designsbydawnmarie or find me on Google+ Dawn Doucette

19 comments:

Malin de Koning said...

Dawn! Beautiful pieces both of them!

And I am glad to have discovered you via this blog hop. I am definitely gonna look around more on your blog now. All my best.

Kathy ~ Artful Accents said...

Both pieces are beautiful, but I especially love the 2nd design. The touches of fiber are really nice.

I love Lima Beads, they are always the vendor I check first when I need something. FAST shipping and great products!

CinLynn Boutique said...

These are beautiful! And as Kathy said, I do especially love the 2nd piece! I sure hope you win!

Lima Beads is where I get a lot of my beads. I love the selections and they have some great sales too!

Mary Harding said...

Beautiful, gorgeous pieces. Love your originality and pleased to discover you here.

SueBeads said...

Beautiful! Love your beadwork, it's fantastic!

Cece said...

Stunning. I love both pieces. Especially like the double sided pendant.

Alice said...

Oh my gosh that first necklace is jaw-dropping gorgeous!!!!! And the second piece is so pretty. I've never used ribbon either, and just couldn't make it work.

Great pieces!!!! So nice to 'meet' you!

Lorelei Eurto said...

Dawn, omg! That first necklace, what a knockout!! Love the pendant, so gorgeous! Thank you for participating, I hope it was a good time for everyone! I can't wait to host the next one!

Steph L. said...

Really beautiful necklaces, love that first one.

Firefly Visions said...

Each of your pieces are so different. I love each of then equally. The beadwork on the first is spectacular.

beautifullybrokenme said...

WOW! I am still drooling over the first design - beautiful! The second necklace is so different and just as stunning - fantastic job! :)

elisabeth said...

Wow! I love the colors of both - what a knock out!

Melissa said...

Wow, amazing work. I love the first piece, it's totally gorgeous.

Tracy said...

Beautiful pieces Dawn, but I especially like the first one, your beaded cab is stunning, so pretty and romantic.

Tanya said...

Dawn, I love your bead embroidery. You are so talented! I have a hard time with asymmetrical designs also, so I feel your pain. You knocked it out of the park, though, on your second necklace. Erin's pendant really does match the ribbon .. truly a match meant to be. :)

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

That first necklace is a show stopper! I gasped when I clicked on your page. Great work and thanks for playing along!
Shannon C

Sally Anderson said...

These are both beautiful pieces, Dawn. Love the way you put the colors together. Nice work!

Finding Charm said...

They came out beautiful. They each have their own character - romantic and whimsical. I'm with you, asymmetrical can be a challenge for me also.

Regina said...

WOW!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails